- What sparked your passion for fashion?
As a young child I saw my mother dressing up in beautiful cloths. I’d spend hours watching her sew her garments, hoping one day that I’d be able to do the same.
- Is this your first year showing at Fantasia Ball? What do you look forward to?
This will be my third year showing at Fantasia Ball. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity to showcase our work. I am looking forward to sharing the evening with guests at this important event to help the community.
- Why do you think it’s important to support our keiki?
Supporting our keiki is of the greatest importance as they will lead our future generation as teachers, lawyers and doctors to name a few. My heart goes out to Imua staff for organizing such a beneficial event.
- Can you relate to not picking up on something as quickly as your peers? Can you explain?
I may not be as fast as my peers, though I feel I compensate for this through my love of sewing and sheer determination.
- Can you describe your design aesthetic?
My design is based on the garments worn in the horse race scene of the movie My Fair Lady, but with a modern twist.
- 6. 3 wardrobe tips for our guests getting ready for Fantasia Ball 2014?
- For the ladies, go all out with your elegant long gowns.
- Accessorize with your finest jewelry.
- Don’t forget your stilettos to complete the look.
- How many hours have you spent working on this look?
I have spent many hours working on my gown over the past two months, and continue to work on it. It’s difficult for me to track the exact amount of time spent, instead I prefer to watch the project come alive.
- When you graduate where do you see yourself?
I see myself continuing to design and construct cloths for my clients, but with increased skills and techniques obtained through my coursework at the UHMC Fashion Technology Program.
- How has can fashion make a difference in today’s world?
Fashion can make a difference in today’s world, not only in the beautiful clothes that is available, but it can also make a person feel good on the inside too.