Dreams help remind children in crisis that they are special and loved. Dream Imua, formerly A Keiki’s Dream, grants child-directed dreams to children 4-16 years old in crisis of any nature, such as abuse, neglect, homelessness or a major medical issues. This child-directed approach not only offers a reprieve from suffering, but validates the child’s self-worth, sending positive messages of support and encouragement, reminding the child what it is to have hope.
This important program began in 1990 and became part of Imua Family Services in 2015. Over the last 30 years, the program has filled nearly 1,500 dreams from turning little girls into princesses and little boys into superheroes. The program offers children a chance to escape their difficult lives through helicopter rides, zip-lining, music lessons, horseback riding and more. Dream Imua relies on community support and involvement to help make these dreams a reality for those in need.
Qualified social services programs, pediatricians and professionals can refer eligible children to Dream Imua. Partnering with Maui’s generous businesses and community members, Dream Imua helps children create and experience their own special dream day on Maui.
Dream Imua Guidelines
In order to participate a child must be referred by a social serve provider or a physician and meet the guidelines below:
- The child must be a full time resident of Maui County
- The child must be 4–16 years old
- The child must be referred to the Program by a valid referral agent using our Dream Imua Referral Application which includes our Dream Imua Consent Form signed by a legal guardian
- The child may not have participated in an Imua Dream Day in the past, unless there is a renewed cause for a referral
- The child will need an adult in his or her life who can participate in the Dream Day and focus on the child while ensuring his or her safety
- The reason for the referral must consist of a “crisis” rather than a long-term chronic issue (e.g. a disability)
- The child will need to physically participate in the Dream Day activity and be able to make their own choice in identifying their Dream Day option
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (808) 244-7467.